Thursday, April 28, 2011

May 1: Second Sunday of Easter

Each week during Lent and Easter, a young adult from the Archdiocese offers a reflection on the upcoming Sunday's Gospel.

Gospel: Jn 20:19-31

In recent days, the disciples have experienced two monumental life transitions--the crucifixion and resurrection.  They hid in fear with the doors shut. I can only imagine how uncertain their future must have felt.  As young adults, we also experience major transitions in our lives.  These changes may or may not be as revolutionary as what the disciples experienced, but they do transform our lives.  We evolve with every big decision we make regarding school, the economy, our careers, family, and relationships.   Just like the disciples, I admit that I have not handled every tough life decision with grace and have often laid low, fearing the consequences and hating the uncertainty.

Similarly, I can relate with doubting Thomas.  Thomas needed to experience seeing and touching Jesus to know that He was with the disciples.  As I struggle through my own difficult transitions, I need a sign to let me know Jesus is with me. Interestingly, He has sent me so many today.  I saw him in the sunshine-filled day, in my friends who brought me coffee, and even in the stranger that was incredibly accommodating with my many of loads of laundry that consumed our shared washer and dryer.  God is here and He is with us.  

God has given us so many blessings to help us with our transitions and to ease our doubts.  We are seeing and touching God in the midst of His blessings and His people who are part of our lives.  However, His presence goes even beyond those senses.  He is all around us.  If we can embrace that idea, then we can be set free of any uncertainty that our transitions bring.

“Blessed are those who have not seen and yet believe.”

Michelle Cantu
Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels, Los Angeles

No comments:

Post a Comment