Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Third Sunday of Lent

John 2:13-25

“Zeal for your house will consume me.”

This Sunday’s Gospel (John 2:13-25) tells the story of Jesus driving out the vendors & money-changers from the temple area. He said to them, “Take these out of here, and stop making my Father’s house a marketplace.” Armed with a whip, he drove them out of the temple area and stood before the Jews without fear, filled with conviction and ready to defend the sacred space.

I always love reading this passage. Every time I hear it, I envision Jesus approaching me just as He approached that temple with that same look of determination and compassion in His eyes. I imagine Him fighting for my temple…fighting for my life. I can see Him driving out the temptations of this world that bombard me, the sins I’ve committed time and time again, the things in life that persuade me to sell myself short of what I’m really worth, and the obstacles that separate me from Him. Even when I fail I know that there is still hope, and His powerful response resounds in my heart, “Destroy this temple…and I will raise it up.” In a way, Jesus has been my knight in shining armor, filled with zeal to win my heart and save my soul.

During this season of Lent, reflect on the times that Christ has saved you from your own distress. What parts of your life are in need of some salvation? How has He been your knight in shining armor?

Natasha Asinas
Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels
Los Angeles

No comments:

Post a Comment